IRS Awards Tax Filing Extension for Santa Barbara County


The deadline is usually April 15th, but due to a combination of things, like the 15th falling on a Sunday and the nation's capital celebrating Emancipation Day, you now have until April 17 at midnight, unless you file for an extension.

Filing a tax extension is free.

This year's tax-filing deadline is Tuesday, April 17, and 64% of Americans expect to receive tax refunds when they file their returns, according to a recent poll. If you're like me, you'll need both of them. The IRS will never call or email you.

Scottish runner collapses in Commonwealth marathon
Mr Peters said he was concerned about the reaction to the struggling athlete. Hawkins was not the only athlete to suffer in brutal conditions.

Russia's UN Draft Resolution To Condemn Missile Strikes In Syria Fails
They agreed to "keep working closely" on the issue, Mrs May's office said in a statement. There were no immediate plans for more attacks, US Defence Secretary James Mattis said.

CBI makes 2nd arrest in Unnao rape case
The case came to light when the 17-year-old victim's father was arrested by the local police and later died while in custody. In Kathua, an eight-year-old girl from a minority nomadic community disappeared near her house on January 10.

Whoever hasn't filed their 2014 tax return in the next four days will lose their share. Freelancers or other gig-economy workers still waiting on a 1099 could be in the same boat. Still, he said, even if a person can not pay everything he or she owes, it's better to file it that day than not file it at all. In fact, if the IRS owes you money, you don't even have to let them know you're filing late. Generating an accurate return may remain a top priority, but taking a moment to review it from the Internal Revenue Service's point of view before submitting could save you a significant headache down the road.

"It's important to note that the failure-to-file penalty is generally more than the failure-to-pay penalty", said Sanford. "This penalty is larger than for not paying any balance due", advised Gil Charney, director at The Tax Institute at H&R Block. So even if you owe more than you can pay right now, file your return and contact the IRS to set up a payment plan. Keep good records and be sure to document all of your deductible expenses-you will be surprised at how much you can forget in a few months or a year. 4. Go back and look at what you paid in taxes previous year, including both withholdings and any payments you made (including estimated quarterly payments as well as payments you made last April).