Montenegro: Grenade attack inside USA embassy compound

Share

PHOTO: The U.S. embassy in Podgorica, Montenegro, in an undated photo from the State Department website.

"Our embassy has no indication that the attack is part of an ongoing threat, although the investigation continues into the motives of the assailant", Nauert said in a briefing Thursday.

"All appropriate state bodies are undertaking measures and activities with an aim of resolving this case and securing full safety and security of the US embassy's staff", Montenegro's interior minister, Mevludin Nuhodzic, said in a video message, condemning the incident.

Police in Montenegro say the man who threw a bomb into the US embassy compound and then killed himself had no criminal record and that the attack was not an act of terrorism. Immediately before, that person threw an explosive device from the intersection near the Sport Center into the US Embassy compound.

"Out of an abundance of caution, consular operations have been closed for the day today [Thursday], although the U.S. Embassy remains open for emergency services for U.S. citizens", she added.

The Associated Press describes Jaukovic as an "ex-soldier decorated by former Serbian strongman Slobodan Milosevic after NATO's bombing of Serbia and Montenegro in 1999". Montenegro became the 29th country to join North Atlantic Treaty Organisation a year ago.

A police officer stands guard outside the U.S. embassy in Montenegro's capital Podgorica Thursday Feb. 22 2018. Police in Montenegro said Thursday they are

Police say the man hurled an apparent bomb into the embassy yard before killing himself with another one around midnight (2300GMT) Wednesday.

A man died after attempting to throw a grenade over the wall of the US Embassy early Thursday in Montenegro's capital of Podgorica, authorities said, APA reports quoting CNN. Police say they are working to identify the man.

The blast created a crater but caused no other material damage to the embassy property, the statement said.

In a statement, Montenegrin police confirmed they had found the "lifeless body of an unidentified male".

The government, in a tweet, said that about half an hour after midnight "an unknown person" had committed suicide with an explosive device.

"The embassy is now conducting an internal review to confirm the safety of all staff", the spokesman added.

Moto G6 Plus design, build, and specs leaked
Now, talking about the Moto X4 , this smartphone has been launched by the company in two different variants. We know that Motorola is getting ready to unveil the Moto G6 and Moto G6 Plus handsets in the coming weeks.

Student walkouts held across region to protest gun violence
Inside the walls of the White House, there was a listening session with President Donald Trump and victims of gun violence. The gunman fled the scene and was arrested later that day and charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder, Time stated.

Student arrested after making potential shooting threat at Opelika High School
Meanwhile, a threat by an 18-year-old caused officials at Otsego High School to keep students home Thursday, north of Kalamazoo. Earlier in the day Tuesday, a Somersworth High student was alleged to have made threats about shooting up the school.

Share