Doctors perform 7-hour-long surgery; successfully remove the largest tumor


The patient, Santlal Pal, 31, hailing from Pali village in Bhadohi in Uttar Pradesh, had been admitted with progressive swelling of his scalp, heaviness, constant headaches and loss of vision in both eyes for the past one year.

Doctors at Mumbai's BYL Nair hospital where he was treated said the tumour was so large "it appeared as if he had two heads mounted on top of each other".

Pal had some swelling under the scalp, headache, heaviness, and complete blindness in his two eyes when he was admitted to the hospital's department of neurosurgery on February 1.

Dr. Nadkarni said that the tumor grew out of the skull and the scalp grew over the tumor.

The tumour weighed 1.87 kilos (four pounds), making it the heaviest ever to be successfully removed from a surviving patient, according to a hospital statement.

"Such tumours are rare and are a surgical challenge owing to blood loss". The patient is a resident of the state Uttar Pradesh. Yet over the last 12 months, the tumor began to expand rapidly, and the resulting pressure in Mr Pal's brain caused him to lose vision. They added that if it had continued, it could have resulted in full paralysis and neurological damage.

Joss Whedon Is No Longer Directing Or Writing The DC Batgirl Movie
So the official company line is that, after almost a year, Whedon couldn't come up with a strong enough take on the story. Per THR , the man who brought us The Avengers to film is no longer involved in the project.

Scott Brown wants Celtic to show the spirit of Tommy Burns
Johnstone due to illness, while Sweden worldwide Mikael Lustig , 31, suffered a knock during the first leg against Zenit. THIS one is live on the eir Sport 2 channel, with build-up starting at 5:30pm.

3rd NJ child dies, nasal spray back on the table
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported last week this year's vaccine was 36 percent effective. But committee panel members noted there's still not good proof that FluMist works well against the swine flu bug.

In addition, around 10% of the growth was inside Pal's skull. "Before the surgery, he had minimal vision, which may improve now", Nadkarni said.

"The patient needed 11 units of blood and was kept on ventilator three days after the surgery", said Nadakarni. Pal's wife said that they approached three hospitals for help, but the doctors had all told them the tumor was inoperable.

During the operation, the doctors "had to cut open the scalp and remove the tumor".

The tumor has been sent for tests to detect malignancy (a term used for diseases in which abnormal cells divide without any control and can occupy tissues that are near them), The Hindu reported.

Pal is now recovering in the intensive care unit and is in stable condition, according to The Hindu. He is hopeful that he will eventually regain his sight.