Jason Colon, the owner of the AirPods was listening to dance music at the LA Fitness when he saw white smoke coming out of the right half of the AirPods. "It already popped. I didn't see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried!"
Credit: Tom's GuideJason Colon didn't actually see his AirPod burst into flame, because he took the device out of his ear and left it on a piece of gym equipment to seek help. Upon his subsequent return, Colon observed that the right earbud was now just a shell of its former self.
Speaking to local news station News Channel Eight, he added: "It's the craziest thing I ever went through".
A man's AirPods exploded while he was at the gym YouTube/News Channel 8 A man's AirPods have exploded while he was at the gym.
Blast Hits Mosque in Benghazi, Libya, Casualties Reported
No group has claimed responsibility, but the blasts have been blamed on Islamist militants. It is controlled by the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by commander Khalifa Haftar.
How Obdulia Sanchez Reacted To Sentencing For Livestreaming Crash That Killed Sister
Obdulia Sanchez is seen in a photo released by the Merced County Sheriff's Department. "Trust me, it's like a reflex. She continued filming as she kneeled next to her sister's dead body, saying, "I killed my sister, but I don't care".
Facebook says it's testing "downvote", not dislike button
He said it showed that when sites such as Facebook were used to connect with "people we care about", they can improve well-being. The idea behind downvote button clearly seems like an effort to bring interaction and flagging system into a common system.
On the flip side there's been a lot of negatives with a string of software glitches that forced Craig Federighi to cancel a number of features for iPhones this year and push them into 2019; there's been well over 50 class actions over Apple slowing iPhones to date and Cook got caught lying about the timing of the battery notices after blaming customers for not paying attention. "You can see flame damage", Colon said.
Lithium-particle batteries are known to overheat and detonate, however while AirPods do contain batteries, it's not in any way obvious that they were the reason for whatever happened to Colon's. "Ear lobe could've been burnt". "He's thankful he thought to remove the wireless AirPods when he sensed trouble".
"This looks like this was the battery", Colon said when explaining the malfunction to KXAN sister station WFLA.
Worth pointing out is that while the inherent incident is likely to raise serious questions about AirPod safety, it's only the first of such incidents to affect AirPods - and we now have no reason to believe there's a broader, software, hardware or technical-related issue afoot.
Apple did not immediately respond to PCMag's request for comment, but a spokeswoman told WFLA that the company is investigating the incident and will reach out to Colon, who was not injured.